North Korea Call US ‘Toothless Wolf’ As Sony Says It Will Release ‘The Interview’ On Christmas After All

| December 23, 2014 | 0 Comments

nkoreacollage
Dr. Evil (Mike Myers) interrupts Sam Smith’s (Taran Killam) Christmas special to address North Korea and Sony Pictures directly about the hack.

Although this piece on SNL is funny North Korea is not laughing in fact nobody’s laughing at the almost 65 million dollars Sony pictures could lose by not releasing ‘The Interview’ due to bomb threats by a Hack organization calling themselves the GOP who promised to reign “911 like” terror on movie theaters showing the comedy film about the assassination of North Korea’s ruler Kim Jong-Un.

nkorea3
Sony has now announced that they will release ‘The Interview’ as planned on Christmas day

Sources say that North Korea is behind the Sony Hack emails which North Korea denied so emphatically they threatened the U.S. to allow them to co-cooperate in finding the real culprits or else. Now it seems that North Korea’s computer systems , even the systems controlling their military weapons have been hacked. The latest attack lasted 9 hours and not only disabled North Korea’s weapons systems but the entire country was offline. It is unknown if the cyber attack on North Korea was subtle sign from the U.S. or an ally of Freedom of speech but one thing is for sure it showed the vulnerabilities of North Korea’s cyber defense. The cyber attack enraged North Korea’s ruler Kim Joung-Un , so much so he called the U.S. a “toothless wolf” whose ‘strength is waning day by day’.


The dailymail.com reports:

It seems that Sony will be releasing their film The Interview after all.

After announcing they would not distribute the film after the reluctance of many theaters to run the picture in the aftermath of a terrorist threat from hacking organization Guardians of Peace, Sony has now decided to allow the film to play in selected theaters.

This according to the Alamo Drafthouse, headquartered in Texas.

‘Breaking news: Sony has authorized screenings of THE INTERVIEW on Christmas Day. We are making shows available within the hour. #Victory,’ tweeted the theater’s founder, Tim League, on Tuesday.

The Alamo has theaters in California, Colorado, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, New York, Texas, and Virginia.

The Plaza Atlanta also tweeted, writing; ‘Breaking Plaza News:The Interview will open Exclusive on 12/25 . The Plaza will be one of the few theaters in the nation to open the film.’

Sony had been widely criticized following their decision last week to shelf the movie, with even President Obama calling the move a ‘mistake.’

This despite the fact that the film cost $42million to make and tens of millions to market.

Almost immediately, many in Hollywood voiced their concern, with writer Aaron Sorkin saying how upset he was that ‘the U.S. succumbed to an unprecedented attack on our most cherished, bedrock principle of free speech by a group of North Korean terrorists,’ and director Judd Apatow explaining the many problems this means for films moving forward.

George Clooney also weighed in, saying; ‘We cannot be told we can’t see something by Kim Jong-un, of all f***ing people.’
Regal, AMC, Cinemark, Cineplex and Carmike, who between them operate more than half of the country’s 40,000 cinemas, had announced last Wednesday that they wouldn’t be showing the movie.

In a statement, Regal said it was delaying any showings of The Interview because of ‘the ambiguous nature of any real or perceived security threats.’

The statement from Regal’s vice president of marketing and communications also pointed the finger of blame at Sony and its ‘wavering support’ for the movie.

Sony had previously told exhibitors that the company understood if they pulled the film in light of the threats.

‘Due to the wavering support of the film The Interview by Sony Pictures, as well as the ambiguous nature of any real or perceived security threats, Regal Entertainment Group has decided to delay the opening of the film in our theaters,’ said Regal’s Russ Nunley.

Cineplex, which also has more than a 75 percent market share in Canada with 161 theaters and 1,639 screens, also released a statement on Wednesday.

Government officials have now revealed that North Korea was behind the hack on the movie studio, upset that they were set to release the film, which depicts the assassination of the leader.

North Korea has denied any involvement.

It is not yet known what other theaters may play the picture.

The fallout from the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack that began five weeks ago exploded last week after the Guardians of Peace escalated their attack beyond corporate espionage and threatened moviegoers with violence reminiscent of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

The seriousness of the threat made last Tuesday is still unclear.

The Department of Homeland Security said Tuesday there was ‘no credible intelligence to indicate an active plot against movie theaters,’ but noted it was still analyzing messages from the group.

[Click here for more trending stories]

photos courtesy of Columbia pictures

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Category: culture & society

About the Author ()

Darnell Moore has extensively studied music and urban culture both academically and professionally for over 20 years. His writings and posts have appeared in many major urban publications. Moore is the founder and creator of Memoirs of an Urban Gentleman. Contact him , http://darnellmmusic@gmail.com/ or https://twitter.com/@darnellmmusic/

Leave a Reply